[CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 22 19:42:44 EDT 2006

Eric, thanks for the idea of using the grid square locator info both as a
distance calculator and also providing the "geographic zone" as a
Mult!  Some thought would be required to determine if an individual grid
square, or a combination of more than one, would be the optimum "Zone" area
for a Zone Mult. In addition, I like the idea of a serial number as part of
the exchange. That provides some "real time" feedback. I like these a
lot.  This would make the exchange more of a challenge to copy (5NN EM00
#1234), provide real time feedback, and level the playing field world-wide.
For me, these are important, and if a sponsoring group got behind the
concept, it could become a terrific contest, the best indicator of operator
skill regardless of location.

Others have recommended increased points for LF work, like the WPX does for
the three LF bands. That might indeed encourage activity on those bands.
However this is needed in the WPX since there is no incentive to operate
these bands since the Prefixes are the mults. In this proposed concept, the
incentive to operate the LF bands would be that there are the "zone mults"
on each of these. Therefore I would *not* think that increased points on
the LF bands would be a good idea.

Jim George N3BB