[CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Mon Oct 23 05:33:38 EDT 2006

Good points, all, and I certainly didn't intend to support the idea of
messing up existing contests.

For a new contest, however, I think it's something to consider, all of your
points notwithstanding. DX is short for distance and what's easy for you is
next to impossible for us. From here, the likelihood of putting any Europe
or Asian contacts in the log on 80 or 160 is very, very small. (They can
hear us sometimes, I'm told, but we can't hear them.) It would be nice to
get at least 'some' credit for those few stations we can work from here.

A VE4 is never going to win a DX contest unless there's a /J7 or /EA9 after
his call, no matter what the scoring system is. So making it easier for us
to win certainly isn't part of my thinking. Making it easier to have at
least a bit more fun is. Making it more compelling for us to get on and give
you contacts is.

For you, when it's time to switch to 80, reaching for the bandswitch is an
easy choice. For us, reaching for the OFF button is often just as
productive.

73, kelly
ve4xt