[CQ-Contest] I GOT IT ... I GOT IT !!!

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sun Oct 29 12:05:55 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 05:29:32 -0700, Eric Hilding <dx35 at hilding.com>
 wrote:

>We need to think outside the bun, box and doldrums of
>do-nothingness.  Perhaps there are some of you retired types with an
>advertising/marketing background who can contribute time to such a project.
>
>To do nothing will insure failure (and a lack of stations to work in
>contests down the line).

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

The day we have to use Madison Avenue marketing hype to attract
newcomers is the day I quit ham radio.

I want newcomers who are fascinated by the idea of generating,
transmitting and receiving RF energy, not ones who are fascinated by
celebrities.

The hype you are advocating will indeed attract newcomers, but those
kind of folks will quickly grow bored and move on. Why bother?

The kind of newcomer I want to attract is the one who takes a hard
look at his cell phone and wonders how such magic happens and wants to
learn more. I became hooked on radio technology at age 14 and am still
learning 49 years later.

Bill, W6WRT