[CQ-Contest] I GOT IT ... I GOT IT !!!

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Oct 30 02:03:08 EST 2006

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Bill Turner wrote:

 > The day we have to use Madison Avenue marketing hype to attract
 > newcomers is the day I quit ham radio.

Sorry to hear you may be leaving us soon, Bill, because the current
recruiting methods just ain't producing very good results.

 > I want newcomers who are fascinated by the idea of generating,
 > transmitting and receiving RF energy, not ones who are fascinated by
 > celebrities.

I want newcomers who also get turned on to Contesting...the thrill and
excitement...who will help fill up the bandmaps (even from school club
stations).  If it takes "celebrities" to attract them to this niche part of
the hobby, so what?

 > The hype you are advocating will indeed attract newcomers, but those
 > kind of folks will quickly grow bored and move on. Why bother?

Because to not explore other "methods" is (IMHO) an unacceptable cop-out,
and assumes some magical "technical tooth-fairy" is going to save the day
for all of us.

 > The kind of newcomer I want to attract is the one who takes a hard
 > look at his cell phone and wonders how such magic happens and wants to
 > learn more. I became hooked on radio technology at age 14 and am still
 > learning 49 years later.

In a perfect ham radio technical world, this would be very nice, Bill.  But
there are a lot of us Contesters who are not ultra tech folks yet are
"hooked" on Contesting for a myriad of other reasons.  I got hooked  at age
12 but more from the excitement of working "DX".  That was, of course,
before the availability of Internet porn which now has so many teenage boys
addicted.  Contesting is an addiction, but certainly a healthier one, IMHO.

I admire and respect those like yourself who are infinitely more
technically knowledgeable about the nuts & bolts of radio than
myself  .  But I am not going to hang-up my Contesting Jockstrap or nurture
an inferiority complex about any lack of equally proficient technical
skills.  When I make a Contest QSO, I am not sitting here wondering how
technically hung the guy is on the other end.  I'm more impressed by
whether he (or she) is a sharp Contest op!

Every time I am fumble fingers on the keyboard or make some QLF error, I
want to crawl into a hole.  My task is to try to become a better typist and
be more focused in what I'm doing.  I learn something new in every Contest
and from all the sharp ops in the contesting sandbox (K7NV-ism).  I'd
rather practice at on-air Contest operating than read hard-core technical
books.  I am very confident there are other non-techie guru types like
myself heavily involved in this exciting niche of ham radio known as
"Contesting".

I'm sure I won't be on your Christmas card list for being a non-techie guru
ham, but one thing is for sure...I'm gonna keep putting some QSOs in other
people's logging software as long as I'm still able to do so :-)

Regardless of our own personal reasons for being (and remaining) in
whatever aspect(s) of the hobby, I remain firmly convinced that additional
options for attraction hereto need to be pursued.

73...

Rick, K6VVA