[CQ-Contest] zero pointers

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 13:16:00 EST 2006

In a message dated 10/30/2006 12:32:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nq4i at contesting.com writes:

....reviewing my log this morning, I find we made nearly 1600 NA
qso's...approx 75% were zero pointers from the US...my dilemma should I teach  these
bozo's a lesson and NIL ( that's making a verb out of a noun, I realize)  them all
so they do not get credit????

How does one get the word across  that when they hunt us down and work us on
all bands they are not helping us  in this contest???

With nearly 1200 zero point qso's and my average  hourly rate of just under
90 per hour...that's a lot of wasted hours!!! Its  time for the contest
committee from CQ to step to the plate and "do the right  thing" its time for one
point per qso in one's own  country!!!
------------------------------

Zero pointers are a burden a Multi-Multi must bear.  If you are going  to sit
on a frequency for 48 hours, you simply are going to have to deal with  those
who need their own country/zone, those who don't care about the  contest but
want to see if they are getting out, and those who think they are  helping you
with a QSO.

If you don't like that, put a cover over your F1 key and operate search and
pounce. Or wait until the IARU contest in July.

Yes, it would make sense for some rule changes.  Eliminating your own
country and zone as multipliers would be a good start.  But as we all  know, the
CQWW Committee views their rules as being handed down from God, and is  not about
to change.

Meanwhile, if you worked anybody, put them in and leave them in your  log.
If I lose points because NQ4I NIL's a real qso, I'll be happy to  return the
favor and NIL a few NQ4I qsos the next time I get the  opportunity to operate
from the DX end.

73  -  Jim  K8MR