[CQ-Contest] New Trick?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Oct 30 14:22:04 EST 2006

Maybe this isn't new, but I didn't seem to notice much of it in past
contests.  Many times during the contest this weekend I heard a
stateside station break a 40m pileup by transmitting on the DX frequency
lower in the band.  A few of those were probably honest mistakes ...
wrong VFO, forgetting to hit the split button, etc ... but it happened
so often that I'm thinking some folks now employ it as a tactic.  It
saves the time it would take to spin the knob to go to a new listening
frequency, of course, but maybe more significantly the violator stands
out clearly if the DX is using split headphones.  In every single case
the DX paused as if confused, but then confirmed the contact anyway.
Possibly some of them deleted the contact afterward, but I doubt it.

Dave  AB7E