[CQ-Contest] zero pointers

ve4xt at mts.net ve4xt at mts.net
Mon Oct 30 15:59:56 EST 2006

I would encourage people to look beyond CQ WW on this issue.

For example, what if 5 of those zero pointers were ID, ND, SD, AK and
WY?

You erase them from memory this time and they may erase you from
memory come SS. Kiss your sweep goodbye.

I would also encourage a look at the math and metaphysics of the
question: how many of those zero-point QSOs displaced counting QSOs?
In other words, did an NQ4I operator choose a stateside caller over a DX
caller in a significant number of these Qs? If the answer is no, then the
negative effect is reduced.

My advice: work 'em and move on. Anything else is going to waste more
time than the Q would and would only annoy folk who may be on the
bubble between hating and not hating contesters.

The bottom line is that the 1600 Qs isn't the entire crux of the cost of
working zero pointers. If you work em while nobody else is calling you, it's
no less productive than an unanswered CQ.

Piss off too many people, and you'll have a lot of unanswered CQs.

73, kelly
ve4xt

> From: "Rick Dougherty" <nq4i at contesting.com>
> Date: 2006/10/30 Mon AM 10:20:36 CST
> To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest at contesting.com>
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers
>
> Hi all...New Thread ...at least for the time being....reviewing my log this
morning, I find we made nearly 1600 NA qso's...approx 75% were zero
pointers from the US...my dilemma should I teach these bozo's a lesson
and NIL ( that's making a verb out of a noun, I realize) them all so they do
not get credit????

> How does one get the word across that when they hunt us down and
work us on all bands they are not helping us in this contest???

> With nearly 1200 zero point qso's and my average hourly rate of just
under 90 per hour...that's a lot of wasted hours!!! Its time for the contest
committee from CQ to step to the plate and "do the right thing" its time for
one point per qso in one's own country!!!