[CQ-Contest] Definig "Spot" and "Spotting" [was: cqww ssb spot analysis]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 09:04:46 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: David Robbins K1TTT <k1ttt at arrl.net>

This has got to be a new record for spots.

Dave's note raised a long-term (and much more broad) question that I will ask rhetorically here.  How does one define "spotting" within the context of an amateur radio operation?

It is a term that is often referenced in event rules, yet it goes undefined (i.e. - "You can't do it, but I won't tell you what it is").  I'm curious as to opinions as to what consititues "spotting activity".

Ponderingly,
Ev, W2EV