[CQ-Contest] WRTC Spot/Log Correlation

K4BEV at aol.com K4BEV at aol.com
Tue Sep 5 19:35:16 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:14:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
k.kerr at abdn.ac.uk writes:

This is  no reason to scrap the SO category. As someone pointed out
recently, SO  Assisted is an oxymoron.

I agree with Paul, EI5DI when he said:

1.  Retain the SO category as presently understood.

2.   Recognise that if not SO, the category must be
some flavour of  multi-op - and drop the ambiguous
term "single-op  assisted".

But come on Kostas - Calling the SOA guys morons or even oxen is  just
uncalled for ;-)

I believe that some of the stations that work stations 2 to 5 minutes after
being spotted may just be tuning and running into the pile-ups and busting
them.  As a guy that way prefers to SnP during contests, I have a lot of FUN
breaking the piles while SOLP, and actively search for them... Then again - I'd
rather jump out of an aircraft than sit quietly in one till it gets to the
ground.

I really don't understand how using an Internet connection to a spotting  net
is within the rules of most contests anyway (?). Don't most indicate that
using non-amateur radio means to get contacts is illegal (or something  to that
effect)?   -- And usually calls for  disqualification! --  How does using the
Internet get one  around this rule????  Use a Wireless Modem?

73, Don - K4BEV