[CQ-Contest] WRTC Spot/Log Correlation

Tonno Vahk tonno.vahk at mail.ee
Wed Sep 6 02:47:05 EDT 2006

Fabian's work demonstrates that it is fairly easy to find packet cheaters
among the top contestants in big contests like CQWW. Actually you can do a
lot more than just checking the 5, 10 etc minute windows. You also have
frequencies! If not in the station's log then with the spots. CQ committee
has developed very fine ways to track down cheaters and disqualifing a known
cheater OE4A as claimed EU SO AB HP champion in 2005 SSB clearly shows that
the times to get away with this are over. You can be very smart trying to
work spots at 11th minute (if you think CQ committe is using 10 minute check
period) or mess around with QSO times in your log. Still, if your log gets
highlighted and carefully analysed you can't get away.

So that actually makes the discussion of whether we should have assisted or
non-assisted classes in contests or just one class for all much less
important. There are contests for both and that is very fine. It is great to
work contests like Russian DX for a change where cluster is allowed for all.
RDXC is a great contest by all means. But SO in CQWW is really the biggest
challenge and those 48 hours just on your own without any other link to
outside world than your two radios is uncomparable to anything else.

With great confidence we can look in to the future of top SO AB contesting
in EU now knowing that the playing field will be fair and I am also sure
that there will be some clean up in Monoband classes in the coming years.

It is maybe a bit too harsh to condemn some of the guys in Fabian list as
what they might have been after was maybe just trying to work as much WRTC
stations and help the contest not really win IARU. So posting as Single Op
might have been unintentional really. Somebody who really tried to win IARU
would not have spent too much time with WRTC stations anyway. But we look
forward to the day when CQWW logs are disclosed the same way and this
analysis would really look interesting and appropriate then.

73
tonno
es5tv