[CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Thu Sep 7 21:58:46 EDT 2006

My problem with Ev's suggestion is it seems to operate from the premise that
contests are merely about everybody trying to climb to the top of one very
large mountain.

Since many contests place a good deal of operators in disadvantaged
positions (under the Black Hole, behind the Aurora curtain, etc.), for
these, the most that some operators can hope for is to climb to the top of
their smaller hill. The ARRL 10 is a good example: at the bottom of the
cycle, we might have openings for half the time and to half the places that
W. Central Florida might get. So I could have 2x10/10/10/10/10 in an H-frame
and still have one-quarter the score of a ham in Tampa with a kt34 at 50
feet. (But imagine the engineering involved!)

Which is why the ARRL takes pains to point out success stories on smaller
scales than just the Marylander at Arecibo.

The idea might play well in a DX contest on the East Coast, where there is a
large number of rival stations all facing similar propagation, but not for
everybody.

Anarchy is good fodder for punk rock songs. Not sure I'm crazy about it for
contest rules.

73, kelly
ve4xt