[CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Fri Sep 8 23:25:42 EDT 2006

I still do not understand how this creates any kind of meaningful
competitive endeavour.

A home builders group in Winnipeg runs a Parade of Homes twice a year where
builders enter their houses into competition as part of a larger marketing
scheme. Well, they've created so many classes for homes, often distinguished
by indistinguishable differences, that if you build a home in Winnipeg and
can fog a mirror, you come home a winner.

So instead of a small number of meaningful winners you get this massive
number of hollow victories that really mean nothing at all.

I think Ev's idea is something that many of us employ privately (the 'you're
only competing against yourself' thing), but I don't see how you build a set
of contest rules around it.

Be that as it may, it's an idea to try only in a new contest. Go for it Ev.
And just remember to mark me each year as the winner of the
IC-756PRO-into-MA5B-at-30-feet-located-at-49 55 22.95N by 97 02 22.65W
category. Bonus now is that I don't even have to ever turn on the radio. I
win!

73, kelly
ve4xt