[CQ-Contest] A New Perspective [was:WRTC Spot/Log Correlation]

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sat Sep 9 16:00:53 EDT 2006

Syl, Syl, Syl,

That's why you have competitions based on geography. I can easily look at
the ARRL regional boxes and see how I did compared to others in this
division. I can look at the results for Manitoba and find out how I did
relative to the local competition. I can look up one section and see if I
beat similar Ontario stations and down one section to see if I beat similar
Saskatchewan stations.

For Manitoba and Saskatchewan, relative to the Right Coast, the ONLY
distinction is going to be geography. Nothing else is ever going to overcome
that.

It doesn't matter one whit whether I have 10/10/10/10/10 on five bands: I'm
still going to be pasted by a KT34 at 50 feet located in Maine. (In a DX
contest, at least.)

So on that basis, I see no value in a set of rules where the only
distinction is going to be equipment.

That idea plays well in contests or in regions where everybody has the same
relative propagation abilities.

Don't you see: the regional disparity you use to discredit my argument is
EXACTLY WHY I don't see value in Ev's idea.

73, kelly
ve4xt