[CQ-Contest] Pre tuned Hf amps

Peter Voelpel df3kv at t-online.de
Sun Sep 24 17:04:07 EDT 2006

I would never want to change monoband amps to a single or two "autotune"
amps.

Optimized homebrew monoband amps are the far better solution:
- much better components, never bandswitch failures
- better efficieny
- usually better harmonic reduction
- no single point of failure
- more power
- instant switching of bands, no tune at all
- much cheaper

As an alternative, I am in the process of building an additional three band
amplifier for the low bands, 3 Pi-L output circuits, switched in by vacuum
switches and a common input.
No antenna relays necessary since receiving antennas are separate.
This one is to feed additional antennas and will be driven through a ratio
adjustable power splitter.

My amplifiers are not in the shack, except those with radiation cooled
tubes.
I just monitor automatically SWR and overcurrent states which drop the
ptt-line in case of failure, or automatic shutdown of voltages if necessary.

I think this thread will be better discussed in the amp reflector

73
Peter