[CQ-Contest] CW keying interface (reed relays)

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Thu Aug 2 16:57:59 EDT 2007

K8CC mentions: "I think I remember N6TR saying that he is now using reed relays ..."

I think I disdained reed relays back in the 1970's when I saw that they were rated (as I recall) on the order 1-mega-operations mean before failure, and I calculated that a single 48 hour DX contest gave roughly one mega-operation of the relay.  Maybe I was also concerned about the pull-in and drop-out times for QRQ (perhaps a prophetic vision of computer-generated E-E-N-A-4 at 60 WPM).  But I could be wrong, and maybe the relays are better now, and I would surely yield to the superior knowledge, wisdom, and skills of Tree and Dave.

But it really is neat that the well-known two-transistor "negative keying interface" would actually work for positive, too ... and nobody seems to have discovered it by accident.

73, Art K3KU
(If K3KU is poking his head out, then SS CW must be getting close.)