[CQ-Contest] Contesters and LOTW

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Aug 15 21:40:50 EDT 2007

Oh, c'mon.

I'm sorry, but the most tedious part of signing up for Logbook of the World
was waiting for the post card to come in the mail.

And renewing my certificate was a piece of cake.  The most tedious part of
that was waiting for the reply email from the server with the renewal file
attached.

The only person I know of who's had trouble with getting set up for Logbook
is trying to do it through a 3rd party software package, and I think the
problem there is more related to that software than obtaining the
certificate.  And the next time I'm over at his shack, I'm just going to
bypass his software application and do everything directly, like I should
have in the first place.

Hype and hyperbole aside... if you don't want to bother with Logbook, don't.
But really... these stories of how horrible it is, c'mon.

...and if it is indeed true that Logbook is more secure than most financial
transactions and web interfaces on the financial institutions -- and I think
it is after seeing my horror of a security system my bank has in place -- I
think that's more a commentary on the lack of security in the financial
world, not of over security in Logbook.  No wonder hackers are allegededly
stealing the banking system blind... but that's another thread for another
reflector.

73, ron w3wn