[CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas

Barry w2up3 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 31 07:45:51 EDT 2007

I use a rotatable loop for directions where I don't have a Beverage.  My
web page with construction details, etc. has been up for several years,
but I changed ISPs a few months ago, so there may be some dead links if
you've seen it referenced on other sites.  Here's the updated link:
http://mysite.verizon.net/w2up3/160-loop/loopt.htm

David Pruett wrote:
> Duncan, Tom, et al:
>
> As W8JI makes clear on his web site, the only real improvement in
> receiving capability on 160M results from DIRECTIVITY.  A short loaded
> vertical will be no better noise discrimination than a full-sized vertical.
>
> Here at K8CC, the low loops as WC7S describes are very useful for high
> angle signals.  However, it is omnidirectional which goes against the
> W8JI tenet described in the previous paragraph.  This doesn't mean it's
> not a useful antenna, but it's not going to significantly improve your
> RX capability for DX signals.
>
> I've built a homebrew version of the two loop (four direction) K9AY
> system (essentially a homebrew version of the ArraySolutions product)
> and found it to work exactly as advertised.  When you point the array at
> a station, they always got louder. Even the front/side seemed much more
> significant than the pattern plots would suggest.  However, the array is
> not all that directive - the only real directivity is the null straight
> off the back.  However, it IS a good null.  The first night I had the
> array running was in a CQ 160M contest a few years ago.  I decided to
> fire up on a freq to call CQ, asked QRL? three times then let loose, and
> aroused the wrath of some K9 who I could barely hear on the K9AY array.
> However, he was in the null, and when I switched the direction of the
> antenna he was S9!
>
> I also have had an array of loaded short verticals in a four-square with
> 1/4 wave spacing on each side.  This was before the DXEngineering
> switchbox became available, so I fed it with a ComTek transmit-style
> switchbox.  The array DID work - when VY2ZM was S7 here on the FT-1000D
> s-meter with the array switched NE, he was S0 (needle not moving) with
> the array SW.  However, it did not seem to help us hear the DX any
> better. I'm sure the array would have worked better fed with a
> DXEngineering switchbox.  It probably would also work better if I didn't
> have five other towers in my five-acre yard :-(
>
> 73,
>
> Dave/K8CC
>

> D LINDSAY ESVLC EXP LINER MGR wrote:
>
>> Very timely thread....
>>
>> I will be doing CQWW SSB this year from a beachside location in EA6
>> (Formentera island) and am still wondering what band to do, bearing in
>> mind I will only have a few hours to set up shop before sundown. The
>> bands I was weighing up were 40 and 80, the plan being to put our new
>> "KISS" phased verticals through their paces.
>>
>> In my troubled sleep last night I started mixing up my plans for a new
>> 160m mobile antenna with the spiderpoles I plan to buy for another
>> project, and came up with what looks like an oversized mobile antenna
>> for 160m. In my imagination it consists of an 18m spiderpole with wire
>> for a radiator, a loading coil about 6m from the base, and a cap hat
>> just above the coil. It would sit on the beachfront with two or three
> [...]

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA