[CQ-Contest] Callsigns: Operator vs. Station

Eric Hilding b38 at hilding.com
Fri Dec 7 11:46:27 EST 2007

WHOA!!!

During radio club meeting "introductions", when someone gives their name and
callsign, IMHO they are not introducing their "station", but rather the
callsign identifies the a Licensed Ham "operator".

If I introduce two hams to each other with names and callsigns, I am not
introducing two "stations" to each other, but live human "operators".

I'm often referred to as "VVA" (I won't mention some of the other things
I've been called), and have found it a most common practice to refer to
other fellow hams at times by only their callsigns, or even partial
callsigns or "phonetics".

My pal W6SC  has a wealth of phonetic options, and he (not his home fixed
station) is simply referred to as "Sugar Charlie" or "Sweet Cheeks" J

When I (K6VVA) have operated from the N6IJ Club Station, that has not been
the "station" K6VVA operating from the N6IJ "station", but rather K6VVA the
"operator" operating from N6IJ the "station".

Do I as an individual "operator" have an Amateur Extra Class License, or
does my "Station" only have an Extra Class License???

When 3830 Scores are posted with things like KL8C (K6VVA), this means K6VVA
the "operator" was operating from KL8C the "station".

This is too whacky, folks.

73.

Rick, K6VVA (The "Operator" of Primary "Station" K6VVA)