[CQ-Contest] Cheating problems and their solutions

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 21:43:53 EST 2007

Warren,

You have stated eloquently the crux of the matter.

This same situation is found in virtually every competition where those who
want to win at any cost will always find a way to cheat the rules.  Auto
racing, regattas, baseball, basketball, etc., etc.; but there the prize is
often $$$.

I think most of us are happy to simply compete with ourselves.

My 2 cents,

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

> It is my contention that the sport of amateur radio contesting has enough
> barriers to entry as it is. The quest and desire for good antennas,
radios,
> computers (and contest logging software), not to mention great innovations
> such as SO2R bites only a few new people each year. Instead of
concentrating
> on those few bad eggs who linger around the fringes of the top, we need to
> do much more work to bring "the average ham" into our favorite part of
this
> hobby, before it dies a slow, painful, ignominous death.
>
> Again, no matter what we do to stop cheating, there will always be some
> social misanthropes who cheat. Yes, they're wrong, and yes, life is not
> fair. But we need to strike a common sense balance between what we do
about
> it, and how we act and react to the individuals who perform such acts.
>
> 73,
>
> Warren, NF1J/6

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:29 AM