[CQ-Contest] Simple solution to address CQ WW CW problems

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Dec 13 23:05:51 EST 2007

Sorry Scott.

No.  Absolutely not.

I have limited enough resources to devote to my station (and quite a few
antenna updates & redesigns to implement at the new QTH).  Forcing me to
spend any of my limited capital on otherwise unnecessary recording devices
and media will simply force me out as a competitor of those contests that
would require it.

I compete as best I can with the equipment I own and maintain, with the
antennas I've constructed, and with the station I've built with all of that.
I am not about to start recording a contest operation simply because if my
skills (as an operator and station builder) have been good enough to
potentially place me at the top of my entry class.

It's bad enough that there are already a few contests that I can't compete
in, simply because I own and operate one of the best CW transceivers ever
made in the PTO era -- but one that lacks a computer interface, so there is
no way to add the complete QRG to my computer log.  [You might of heard of
it.  The manufacturer called it a "Corsair II."  Sound familiar?]

This proposal just takes more competitive contest opportunities away from
me, and right now, I have few enough as it is.  And why?  Because you're
trying to catch a cheater?

To mangle an old cliche:  One should not throw out the baby with the
bathwater.  It's considered to be in poor taste.

73, ron w3wn