[CQ-Contest] Contest Recordings

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Dec 14 12:19:20 EST 2007

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing general wideband recordings of
contest or DXpedition activity made freely available, if for no other
reason than as a possible deterrent against some of the really bad
behavior that shows up on the band.  If people knew their behavior might
find a wide audience they might think twice about how they act.  I don't
think the burden should in any way be placed upon a contest entrant to
provide such a recording, but if someone wanted to record an entire band
during a contest and post the file for those of us anal enough to want
to dig through it, more power to them.

But can someone please explain for me how a recording of a particular
station's contest effort tells anyone anything that couldn't more easily
be discovered from the logs, especially given the fact that I or anyone
else could easily and seamlessly edit a recording after the fact to
obscure a false or questionable contact enough to effectively remove it
from evidence?  All you have to do is add a noise burst, overlay some
QRM, etc  ... all very easy to do with free or inexpensive audio editors
... and it would be impossible to say that the contact did or did not
happen without checking the other guy's log.  Maybe I'm just dull
witted, but what else does a recording conclusively offer, either for
contesting or DXing, that the text log doesn't?

Dave   AB7E