[CQ-Contest] Public Logs

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Fri Dec 14 22:22:34 EST 2007

A good point, Joe.

I was intrigued that the DXCC blog specifically states that if they can be
sure published logs can't be changed, then it actually would be better to
publish them. I think this suggests a solution to the problem.

If contest sponsors don't publish logs until after the submission deadline,
and changes to logs are not allowed after the submission deadline (both of
which I believe are the case now), then DXCC can be assured that two
stations will not be able to claim credit for the same QSO -- i.e., the old
busted QSO trick won't work.

Sure, the QSL manager could change his/her copy of the log, but DXCC could
maintain a list of online logs for rare and semi-rare entities that are
published by contest sponsors, and check submitted QSLs against those logs.
Only QSLs matching the published contest log submission would be allowed. In
essence, the contest sponsor would be enforcing the rule that published logs
must not be changed. That's a natural part of the contest adjudication
process.

The blog also says that DXers would be peeved if the QSL manager didn't
correct a legitimately busted call. Well, one could take the position that a
busted call shouldn't count for DXCC -- just like it doesn't count for a
contest (and often generates a penalty as well.) Is it really a QSO if the
DX station didn't hear and log your call correctly? With near-real-time
posting of logs for DXpeditions becoming pretty common, people can check
whether their call was logged correctly or not.

73, Dick WC1M