[CQ-Contest] SO2R Category

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Dec 18 18:57:49 EST 2007

> > The point is IT'S THE ANTENNAS and LOCATION that make the
> > difference in many cases.  Not SO2R.

The point I have made for over a year ... SO2R is but one tool
and certainly not THE tool that is so dominant that it makes all
others insignificant.

Again, if you want to give your jihad for a separate SO2R
(or SO1R) entry class any intellectual validity, start by
establishing a class that prohibits antennas higher than 49
feet (15 meters) and with elements totaling no more than one
half wavelength.  Add a "single transceiver" requirement to
that class if you want.  Beyond that there is no justification
for limiting the operator's choice of tools (within the rules)
- whether it be bigger antennas, SOnR, computer assisted
logging, memory keyer assisted CW, Voice Keyer assisted SSB,
or DSP enhanced RTTY - he uses to increase his score.