[CQ-Contest] Suggestions for transporting a C-3 as checked baggage?

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 7 17:12:28 EST 2007

I originally planned to take a C-3S to VP8 back in 2004.  It packs up nicely
for a DXpedition.  We found it too difficult to mount on a pole at home in
the back yard.  So, we took the 40XR vertical and a small Mosley tri-bander.
See photos at http://www.gtdx.com/dxpeditions/2004/index.html.  The 40XK
actually outperformed the tri-bander in certain conditions.

On another DXpedition (9H3 Malta) I took a Force 12 Sigma-80 vertical.  It
worked great but was a real hassle hauling around.  I gave it to the Malta
version of ARRL rather than haul it back to Houston.

We took a SteppIR 2el to Malta.  It was definitely worth the effort.  I
highly recommend this antenna to any DXpeditioner.

73, Keith NM5G