[CQ-Contest] Get me the bandplan cops - RTTY on the low end of 40!

K6VVA dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Feb 12 22:42:33 EST 2007

  On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:28, I originally wrote:
 > > The AWESOME QSY rule was not designed for any disruptive or evil
 > > purposes.  In fact, the rule has several Virtues:

On 12 Feb 2007, Doug Smith W9WI, replied:
 > I did notice many incidents of Sprinters calling CQ on occupied
 > frequencies without so much as a ?.  FAR more than in any other contest.

Oh oh ... that's not the way it's supposed to work, which could
understandably cause some upset individuals.

To the best of my ability, I try to always push the "QRL?" key at least
once before opening fire on a new frequency  I will normally do it twice,
actually, but may relapse from time to time to once.

 > I will sheepishly admit to having done so twice myself, due to having
 > the wrong radio selected.  With the frentic pace of Sprint, mistakes in
 > general seem a LOT more common.

Ahhh yes, "confession is good for the soul".  I commend you on your
forthrightness.  "Been there, done that too."

 > I am not convinced all the cases were inadvertent though.

You are probably right.  "To err is human, to forgive divine" (unless the
same mistake is made again and again and again???).

We ALL really need to do the "QRL?" thing as much as possible, even though
it does take a few seconds to be "Good Neighbors".  IMHO, most CW Sprint
ops set the "Gold Standard" of Contest operating.  Tnx to the BARC gang for
Sponsoring such a challenging RadioSport event.

73...

Rick, K6VVA