[CQ-Contest] Get me the bandplan cops - RTTY on the low end of40!

steve.root at culligan4water.com steve.root at culligan4water.com
Thu Feb 15 20:53:59 EST 2007

>What about in a few years, when 20 is open strong until 0400 and then some?
>Leave it alone and surf the sunspot cycles.
>--

It doesn't work that way for everybody. At the top of the sunspot cycle (with an extended period of quiet geomagnetic conditions) 20 may stay open all night to DX locations. But after local sunset 20 meters is pretty much worthless for a domestic contest regardless of the SFI. I operated Sprint several times at the top of the last cycle. The first hour and a half was characterized by endless unanswered CQ's and the complete inability to "first call' anyone. That's with full power and big Yagi's. I could work UA9's but not W9's. Sprint would be a lot more fun with 20 meters still open, and that requires daylight more than sunspots.

73 Steve K0SR