[CQ-Contest] J7zeroJ Spots

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Wed Feb 21 15:10:39 EST 2007

>  Those J7zeroJ spots are a real dilemma
> for us.   Both
> this year and last year, we had over 500 dupes - 7% - (out of
> 7k+  qsos) largely due to the J7zeroJ spots.  (That is a lot
> of time wasted when  we could have been making legitimate
> contacts.)  I don't know what to do  about it either, other
> than change our contest callsign.
>
> Not once did we sign J7zeroJ, so they are no doubt posted by
> ops who can't copy code all that well, or at all, for that
> matter.  How  much can dah-dah-dah sound like
> dah-dah-dah-dah-dah?  Heck, we were  even spotted by one of
> the "big boys" as J7zeroOJ...go figure.
>
> I am posting this note to the CQ-Contest reflector to spread
> the word about the harm of carelessly posting erroneous spots.
> 73, Geo...

Hi, George.

I understand where you are coming from and hope it doesn't lead to a
callsign change.

I don't know what software you are using, but will it allow you to imbed a
3wpm or so speed reduction between 7 and O and a corresponding increase
between O and J in your CQ and/or wherever you use your callsign?

Maybe that little speed bump can help to grab the attention of the excitable
and less attentive who 'hear' Zero instead of Oh.

The slowdown shouldn't affect your effective rate anywhere near as much as
500 dupes would.

Just a thought...

73,
Dale, kg5u