[CQ-Contest] Contest Calls

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Feb 23 18:21:30 EST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 9:04 AM, <ku8e at bellsouth.net>
<ku8e at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>   Last time I checked the prefix for Dominica was J7 not J70. I see
> nothing confusing
>  about some one using J7OJ as their call. I recall many people
> using 1x1 calls in past
>  contests like J7J and J7K from Dominica. Can't recall any J7 and
> some number after it call

Normal calls in Dominica use a digit in addition to the J7 prefix,
e.g., J79Z, J75KG, J79GU, to mention a few from my logs.  While other
special calls (normally issued for contests) have had no digit after
the prefix (the 7 is part of the prefix) and a single letter suffix,
J7OJ was issued specially as a tribute to K4OJ (SK).

I heard quite some time ago that ITU rules require amateur calls to
have a single digit after the prefix, but this is often ignored.

Bob, N7XY