[CQ-Contest] Cabrillo forever

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 2 10:38:38 EST 2007

The Cabrillo format is very well defined as a protocol. The problem
is that there is now a blank field in the Stew Perry data where one
used to be. By parsing for blanks, the parser fails. By parsing for
field positions it should work just fine. The bug is in the parsing
programs that parse on blanks, AND those that ignore the field
placement and separate the fields with blanks (contrary to the
Cabrillo specification).

Either way, it can be fixed by the renegade programmers...

On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Marijan Miletic', S56A wrote:

> W2EV: Robot authors, please seriously re-examine the way that QSO:
> data is parsed.
>
> Once upon a time, matematician of internet fame C response was:
> While ch=' ' do Read(ch);
>
> I always believed that QSO is valid if callsign AND RST report are
> exchanged.
>
> With present technology it would be easy to digitize AGC voltage,
> i.e. S meter reading.  But the dumbing trends prevail...
>
> HNY & 73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

- Jack Brindle, W6FB