[CQ-Contest] other times

Kevin Normoyle knormoyle at surfnetusa.com
Sun Jan 7 10:21:10 EST 2007

here's my specific example.

ARRL RTTY Roundup says off times must be min 30 minutes,
and you have to take the off time in two blocks
at most.

Assume you start 15 minutes late, and end 15 minutes early.
and you're not listening during that time.

In between that, you have 24 hours of on-time
and two blocks of off time: one 2.5 hrs and one 3 hrs.
(so 5 hrs of off time, plus 15 minutes plus 15 minutes
equal total 6 hrs of not-on time)

The contest rules say 24 hours of on-time allowed.

Does a log like that meet the rules or not?

The basic issues apply to any other contest where
min time for "off time" or max # of off time blocks
are stipulated.

I'm asking because I don't know. I know for ARRL SS,
I got an answer that the begin and end periods aren't
constrained by the 30 minute rule.

Like I say, I think it's easy to say one "knows" the
answer, but I don't think the answer is obvious. I think
it's governed by long-time tradition, not by the explicit
rules.

I'm assume the theoretical log above is legal.
agree or disagree?

-kevin
ke6rad