[CQ-Contest] Times to check the bands

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 20:17:42 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Tree tree at kkn.net

I love it.  I have always though in the VHF contests that we should
do something similar - like 2 meters at 14 past, 222 at 22 past, and
432 at 43 past...  Six meters at 50 past.
---------------------------

There was a similar thread here: http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/VHFcontesting/2001-12/msg00020.html

In recap, activity hours are (were) very powerful strategies.  They seem to have fallen out of favor in recent years (sadly).

Random QSO's on 2 meters through most of the contest often are greeted with "432 later"...but we never seem to find them again.  Knowing that there was an activity hour coming up helped us to find those lost QSO's more readily.

These are both AM and PM and both Saturday and Sunday of a two day contest.

6 meters at 6:00
2 meters at 7:00
222 MHz  at 8:00
432 MHz  at 9:00
903+     at 10:00
  (though most folks work others on 432 and immediately QSY up during the previous hour)

I still follow this strategy, though (like Ed's comment in the link above) I often do so for only 15 minutes rather than spending an entire hour.

Hope that helped.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV