[CQ-Contest] NAQP SSB 160m

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 16:11:57 EST 2007

I thank everybody for their responses to my post.

The majority consensus appears to be that the band
plan should be respected for domestic contests! It
would be nice if this were to be written into the
rules for NAQP, and this would perhaps be more
possible than changing the rules for say CQWW.

I have very little sympathy with those who claim their
antennas will only work in the CW part of the band -
it is entirely practicable to use any (realistic) 160m
antenna in any part of the band using simple networks
- or by retuning the antenna itself.

I cannot accept the reasoning that because the contest
is of relatively short duration any interference it
causes is not important. Canadian licences, at least,
require that interference to other stations be avoided
where possible, and operating outside the agreed band
plan does not meet that criterion.

I specifically refrained from giving any details of
stations operating in the CW band - the ones that
caused me problems in listening for weak signal CW
stations all happened to be US stations - but that
fact seems to me to be irrelevant to the main issue.

It is a shame (IMHO) that some operators apparently
have no concept of the 'spirit of the rules', but
unfortunately that seems to be true for many of life's
activities.

73 Roger
VE3ZI