[CQ-Contest] Annoying trend

Kjboasi at aol.com Kjboasi at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 22:47:37 EST 2007

This reminds me of Sweepstakes SSB last year.  I had a lot of exchanges like
this:

Me: "You're number 201 A N2ZN 81 NLI"

Other station:  "Sorry, I missed some of it.  Please confirm your check as 94
and section as NLI"

Me: "No, check is 81, section NLI"

Other station: "I have your section, just need the check again.  Is it 94?"

Me: "No, check is 81, 81, 81, 81"

Other station: "81?"

Me: "Yes, QSL"

Other station:  "Uh, okay"

And so on and so on....

Now, 94 and 81 sound nothing alike, so I have to assume it came from a
database.  94 is  what I have used for the past few years.  From now on, the check
gets chosen randomly before the contest.  (For NAQP, same thing goes for the
name.)  I actually had some guys repeatedly question me about the check to the
point that it got silly.  Then they kept asking me if they had my call right!
I can't wait to see the log checking reports and see how many busted my check
by using the old check.  Same thing with NAQP...I got called by name a few
times, and not always by people I knew somewhat personally.  One guy actually
announced the town I was in.  That was fine, except he must have been using an
old database from before I moved.

I wonder what's going to happen this year when my check AND section are
different from last year (Don't worry, I actually did move to a new section, so
it's legit).

Come on guys, GST (get your s**t together) and knock off the database stuff.
If I send my check during SSCW as 93 and you hear it as 93, but your database
says 94, which are you going to believe?

73, Ken, N2ZN