[CQ-Contest] Shack Ergonomics

W6SX Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Sat Jan 27 12:14:19 EST 2007

At 11:31 AM 25 01 2007, Richard Zalewski, W7ZR wrote:

>I am looking to change to next iteration of a ergonomically designed
>single op single radio contest station.  I have gone through this
>process several times and now feel I need to change this "one more
>time".

1.  Monitor at desk level works well for me.  I have ham-radio
glasses with bifocal prescription for the whole lens.  Lot easier on the neck.

2.  I like trackballs.

3.  Put keyboard right in front of monitor and push everything far
enough back so your elbows rest naturally on the desk.

4.  Try a stubby keyboard.  Saves desk space and means you don't have
to move hand so far to the right to reach paddle or trackball.  You
can buy stubby keyboards for sixty dollars or so, but lots of them
just compress the keys which I don't find comfortable.  I made my own
using a radial-arm saw (really!) to cut the number keypad off an old
keyboard.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California