[CQ-Contest] Fwd: K3 initial comments

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 5 13:29:08 EDT 2007

N6XI:
 >The flywheel main tuning knob is luscious,
slightly smaller and much smoother than the one on the MP.
The sub-receiver tuning knob is much smaller than the one
on the MP but it's all alone in its portion of the panel
and easy to use as a VFO B dial.

         A couple of additional comments on this:

1.  The Main knob is about the same diameter (~2")
as Orion's if my estimates are correct.

2.  I suggested Elecraft consider assignment of RIT to
the Main knob when LCK is depressed.  This allows you to
use the Main knob for RX, with TX frequency locked, as
you would when running stations on a single frequency.
This is such a simple idea but only Piexx ever picked up
on it in their digital board for the TS-930S.  It might
get complicated with a Sub RX, but I suspect most SO2R
folks today would use a second rig for that anyway.  It
always bothered me with my stock TS-930 and MP that I was
forced to use their tiny RIT knob instead of the unused
Main knob.  My solution (which precluded using the Sub RX)
was to operate split, lock TX on Sub VFO and use the Main
to tune on my run frequency.  Hopefully Elecraft will take
this input which was implemented years ago by Piexx.

         * RIT tuning by main tuning knob when D. LOCK pressed.

http://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25&zenid=b7ce8fb4647dc1c438a3dfd68edb95bf

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  With Orion, you could not do this internally
(i.e. suggestion ignored) but you could assign RIT
to the external 302R Remote Pod if you had one.