[CQ-Contest] Bermuda DX Contest?

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 8 23:54:25 EDT 2007

Nice memories ... yes.  What a wonderful experience.  I won for Canada
back in 1980 with the call VE5RA all the way from Saskatchewan ... very
difficult from this far out west.  10 meters was the band opening that
made the difference.  John, W3MA was the USA winner and without looking
it up I don't remember the UK or DJ winner.  Met Stu, G4CNY and Phil,
G3YBH who I think is still VE3YBH.  By then the award was reduced to
just the ham and did not include his wife as it once did.  We were all
treated extremely well by the VP9 community ... I remember the Hall
family ... mother and son both hams.  I still remember the phone call
informing me that I had won ... Ah wonderful memories.

Doug/VA5DX

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bermuda DX Contest?

This thread sure brings back some nice memories

I attended the awards dinner for the Bermuda Contest back in 1984. I was
there with N8ET to operate the CQWW DX SSB contest at VP9AD.

I remember N3RD,W2VJN,W3MA and N3RS being there as well. Stuart, G4CNY
(who is now SK) was the UK winner and stayed around to operate the
contest with us. I can't recall who the other winners were.
The dinner was very nice and I recall the winners also got a week in a
very nice resort. I still have some old pictures somewhere of that
trip...

VP9AD, who was the big contest station in VP9 , retired long ago. The
contest was fun with the US able to work G , DL and VP9's. If you had a
big station you could run up a pretty big score.

Jeff  KU8E

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
08/07/2007 6:32 PM