[CQ-Contest] CQWW and 0 pointers

Richard DiDonna NN3W nn3w at cox.net
Mon Jul 9 10:32:16 EDT 2007

I think there is a desire to eliminate intracountry QSO parties - as in what
we see in the IARU contest where large stations make literally hundreds of
unique QSOs - all with in-country stations.

Now where you might see a little movement is with the relative term of the
word "DX".  DX to most people means distance.  That definition has become
inextricably tied to ARRL DXCC entity.

In parallel with arguments that we've seen in the past is this problem -
related to the Zero point question.

If I am a ON4 station in Brussels and work a PA3 station in Amsterdam (no
more than 150 miles away), I get one point.  If I am a VE7 station in Quebec
City and work a VE7 station in Vancouver (about 2300 miles away), I get zero
points.  Distancewise, and traditional DX wise, I've worked a lot harder in
the Canadian example.

Part of the remedy might be to award one QSO point to stations where a QSO
is made with a station in the same country, but in a different zone.  There
will be certainly examples where QSOs from one zone to another are no more
than the distance given in the ON-PA example, but these are more exceptional
than the number of zone 3 to 5 QSOs or zone 3 to zone 2 QSOs or zone 18 to
zone 19 QSOs.

73 Rich NN3W