[CQ-Contest] 0 points and "Leveling the playing field"

Tom McAlee tom at klient.com
Mon Jul 9 15:17:34 EDT 2007

W4ZV wrote:
> I'll bet it makes *no difference* in the top MM standings, even assuming
the big 3 (possibly even including K9NS) still get zero points for USA

I don't have all of the 2006 numbers.  But, looking at 2005 MM results, the
overall points-per-QSO were:

SSB
K3LR  2.532
KC1XX  2.602
W3LPL  2.434
NQ4I  2.263

CW
KC1XX  2.681
K3LR  2.656
W3LPL  2.589
NQ4I  2.346

NQ4I's points-per-Q is obviously lower.  But, how would this affect the
ranking?

SSB
Giving NQ4I the same points-per-Q as the highest-point-per-Q KC1XX, his
score would bump up to 8.7M.  That would not change his 5th place ranking
behind K1TTT and it's still way behind 3rd place W3LPL at 12.9M.

If 1st-place K3LR had 5th-place NQ4I's points-per-Q, K3LR would still be in
first place.

CW
Giving NQ4I the same points-per-Q as the highest-points-per-Q KC1XX, his
score would bump up to 10.6M, which would notch him up from 5th place to 4th
place (300k ahead of N3RS) but it's still well behind 3rd-place W3LPL at
13.8M.  With W3LPL's points-per-Q, the ranking would not change.

If 1st-place KC1XX had 5th-place NQ4I's points-per-Q, KC1XX would still be
in first place.

If USA stations were worth a point, you can bet all stations above would be
on 160, 80, and 40 all day long.  I don't imagine that would level anything.
However, as an 80m op at W3LPL it would give me something to do besides mope
as I listen to K3LR work VE3 stations all day.

Perhaps we change the rules about that too?  I propose that if you are in
western Pennsylvania then Canadians are worth 1/2-point instead of 2.  I
also propose that stations in New Hampshire get zero points for EU on the
low bands until the Maryland sunset, 30 minutes after theirs.  And,
certainly those west coast stations should get zero points for Asians on the
low bands after the Maryland sunrise.

73,
Tom, NI1N