[CQ-Contest] Ic 706 Mark 11 and Writelog for NAQP CW

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 08:18:12 EDT 2007

WIndows XP cannot dedicate an I/O port with no interrupts and will continue time slicing all serial, parallel, and usb I/O (even with no other programs running, due to internal interrupt calls)  Smooth CW is essentially impossible from software to I/O port due to the CPU constantly interrupting the CW stream to service interrupt calls...  It is not the fault of the logging program but an architecture constraint of the cpu...
  I am running N1MM currently and using it to drive an external keyer... I am using the Winkey2 USB keyer and have been happy with it...  But the other keyers should work also, Microham, etc...  What happens here is the logging program squirts an ascii sentence to the keyer... The keyer cpu then handles all the timing and keying chores without being interrupted by other tasks...  I suspect Wrotelog will work in a similar fashion with an external keyer...

  denny / k8do