[CQ-Contest] Cut numbers

Marijan Miletic', S56A s56a at bit.si
Wed Jun 6 18:20:20 EDT 2007

K4BAI wrote: While we are on cut numbers, I'd (again) like to plead for hams to stop sending "J" for "1."

IARU Reg. I CW Field Day was last weekend with few stations having RFI and using manual keying with VOX.
I'd doubt whether letter J means shorted 1 or number 2 with first dot lost due to the late VOX/semi-BK action.

Morse coded numbers have regular 5 elements structure but we don't need all of them, just the exact point of dot to dash transition.  If I am expecting numbers, A is enough for 1, U for 2, V for 3, E for 5, G for 7, N for 9 and T equals 0.  Numbers 4, 6 and 8 can't be reasonably abbreviated.

Fortunately only NEAT usage makes sense for significantly reduced timing.  We are supposed to be smart decoders, not automated ones.  However, machine sending is prefered as it reduces human transmission errors!

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU