[CQ-Contest] NS Excitement

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Jun 7 13:01:41 EDT 2007

For those who have never participated in a Thursday Night NS, why not get your feet wet tonight???

After a couple of downhill weeks for me in a row, as soon as I saw NS-Meister N6ZFO's post yesterday, I decided to "Get Excited" about making another whack at my goal of 50 Q's from this RF-Hole QTH.  The Subject title was enough to get me ramped up.

The adrenalin was flowing.  Tnx to N6XI a few days ago, what I thought was a DXD problem turned out to be the need to reinstall Direct IO, so I was now back QRV for SO2R business.

I checked all the antennas, recalibrated my tiny digital clock at the rig to within 1 second of the time on my large Atomic Clock in the other room.

Took a brief nap and set the alarm for 0200 UTC and did a final rig shakedown when I got up.

Positioned a mini-bottle of Cabernet for easy reach during the NS (and a fresh bottle of Crystal Geyser as a chaser).

At 0229 UTC I was almost panting like a dog who just discovered a new bone.

At about 02:29:40 I didn't hear anyone yet on 14.041 so sent "QRL?" 2 or 3 times.  No responses, so sent some test V's and right as the clock flipped to 0230 UTC, I hit the F1 CQ button.

No responses, so F1'd again.  Still no responses.  One more F1/CQ but no responses.

Decided I had better start tuning around for someone to call.  All was quiet.  I was puzzled, until...

I realized I had done it again (about the 4th time in the last 2 years)...I got so excited about the weekly NS that I QLF'd and showed up one day early ;-(

The rest of the night was all downhill after the big letdown.  But the exciting thing is that NS is tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Info & Rules at: http://www.ncccsprint.com - join the party at 0230 UTC.

73...

Rick, K6VVA