[CQ-Contest] QST contesting issue idea

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sat Jun 16 07:28:16 EDT 2007

I agree wholeheartedly!

How many folks build their own rigs? (Probably considerably less than 1%)

Their own Station Accessories?  (A few more, but most buy things like
power supplies, antenna couplers, SWR bridges, etc.)

Yet, technical articles appear every month, sometimes quite a few of
them, and sometimes very deep technical issues.

Methinks its a matter of education - even those who don't build like to
understand what's inside their rigs.

Contest results are like reading stock market prices - rather dull
except for someone who has a particular stock.  One looks for his call,
his ranking relative to the rest of the pack, and skims some of the
editorial content, but not much.  Is there a intriguing way to tell
dolts like me how to manage over 2 Q's per minute over a long period?
Or, what's needed to accurately copy of sloppy fist in the midst of
QRN/QRM, and get <2% error rate during a contest?   I don't remember any
articles on these subjects.  I don't know if they'd be of interest to
the masses.  But I'm 99.44% sure that the plain, vanilla writeups of a
small amount of editorial comment, plus "soapbox" comments and contest
results don't result in a horde of readers.

It's also a matter of lack of proselytizing.  Contest folks say they
encourage their fellow hams to become contesters, yet there is very
little organized activity to encourage the newcomer or olde tymer to try
the next contest.  I've seen a few "rookie award plaques" for newcomers
in a contest, and ARRL;s "GOTA" station category in Field Day is quite
popular, but otherwise, these are few and far between.

Contesting can be fun, even for a dolt like me who doesn't have a chance
at the top 10, but does anyone want to get organized and mount an effort
to get more participants?  Methinks folks with this bent are very few
and far between.

73 de n8xx Hg