[CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Mon Jun 25 17:51:14 EDT 2007

I'm with both Bills on this one.

As long as there is only one site, and the operator is only claiming the
site of the actual RF generation as his location (a VE4 operating remotely
to a KP4 site must compete as a KP4, not a VE4), I have no problem with the
length of his control wires. If he's a KP4, he's not competing against me
and I don't care that he's actually just across town.

The only reason I can see for opposing remote operation is envy: why does he
get to play a KP4 station and I don't? The same argument could be used to
invalidate guest operations: why does he get to fly to KP4 and play while I
don't? It's not a good reason to oppose remote operation.

Using remote operation to gain advantages against your direct competitors
(pretending to be a VE4 in a DX contest but using a remote station in Nfld.,
or using multiple remote sites (even using a local receiver)) would be
wrong. THEN -- and only then -- it would be like using a repeater.

Otherwise, it's just like he's in KP4, without the hassle of having to go to
KP4 (especially considering security these days).

73, kelly
ve4xt