[CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Fri Mar 16 10:31:03 EST 2007

Kelly, VE4XT, wrote:

> I also see absolutely no reason why a ham running a KP4 station must be
> physically located in KP4 -- so long as he's not running the KP4 station but
> passing himself off as a VE4, for instance.

I checked with the ARRL Contest Manger last year about operating remotely in the ARRL DX Contest from KP2 via remote while still here in California.  "No problem".

Well, "THEE Problem" is that nasty thing called "Latency" (especially for 35WPM CW).  I finally got Wireless Internet here, but trying several routes, it's still between 150ms to over 200ms latency ;-(

For one local remote site location here, I can be at less than 5ms latency with point-to-point 5GHZ gear from AIRAYA ( http://www.airaya.com ).  It will take mucho $$$ for a solar power setup, however less than $100,000 to run landline electrical up to "Locust Peak" ;-(

FYI & 73...

Rick, K6VVA