[CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Sat Mar 17 12:24:24 EST 2007

Ron, W3WN, wrote:

> So, my suggestion is to update the rules as needed to accomodate those who
> operate a remote station, but make it clear that the intent and purpose of the
> rules is to be flexible enough to aid people in participating, not to leave the
> door open to those misusing the technologies involved for an unfair competitive
> advantage.

I really think we also need to plan on what Dennis, K2SX/4, described as "Distributed Contesting" operations to be a future category (or at least make provisions for this and nail down the ground rules up front, because it's "Coming soon to a Contest near you").

Gerry, W1VE, wrote:

> Technology is going to allow us to do things in Amateur Radio that have
> never been done before.   Why not remote DXPeditions?   I can imagine a
>permanent, remote ham station on CY0 or CY9, sponsored by some ham club,
> that has security-controlled remote access over the internet.   What would
> be wrong with that?     How about using a Caribbean QTH for a non-major
> contest?  How about giving a physically-challenged ham, who cannot travel,
> the thrill of operating from a hot DXpedition location?

Yes, exciting possibilities that can all result in more Contest QSOs which equates to less "ho hum" time in the chair :-)

Steve, K0SR, wrote:

> Why do all "technological innovations", "enhancements", "technical progess",
> and "new technologies" have to be so hideously expensive?
> Somewhere along the line we have to admit that it's going to be tough to bring
> new blood into a hobby that has such a high price of admission. Some things are
> bad ideas for other reasons beside interpretations of existing contest rules.

To limit those who desire to "Boldly go where no man has gone before" would be, IMHO, contrary to the creative experimentation history which has resulted in so much of  the cool gear and antennas ***now*** in use.  That's why something like a "New Blood, CC&R Challenged" category ***could*** be part of the mix.

Dave, KA1NCN, wrote:

> This probably should be something for the contest committee to address.

Unfortunately, there is more than one "contest committee".  Methinks the time has come for something along the lines of a "Global Contest Committee Consortium" and advisory group to nail down some of these issues (including Packet) for all contests.  Otherwise, Contesting Chaos is just around the corner...especially with the Remote Contesting issue.

> Due to politics and technology, contesting is changing.  This is inevitable.

Death, Taxes, Uncertainty and Change are always inevitable ;-(

Tnx & 73...

Rick, K6VVA