[CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

Russell Hill rustyhill at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 21 10:05:46 EST 2007

Several points occur to me:

1.  If I were a lone operator in a rare multiplier area I would strenuously
oppose any new protocol which made it easier for another operator to set up
a competing station in that rare multiplier area.  Remote operation would
make it easier to set up a competing station, if the operator did not need
to travel to that station in order to operate in a given contest.  However,
there would be a lot of additional complexity to setting up such a station
and having it be contest-reliable and -capable.  Taking complexity of set-up
and latency into account, probably a net loss for the remote operator
competing with the local guy.

2.  For someone who insists that ham radio is all about talking to denizens
of another locale, I would wonder:  In a contest when he works Outer
Slobovia, does he stop contesting in order to have a half-hour chat with
that person, thereby adversely affrecting his rate?

3.  The rules refer to Transmitters, Receivers, Antennas.  They do not
comment on Operator location, therefore the operator does not have to be
within the 500m dircle.  Wishing the rules said something different does not
make it so.

4.  We have had remote operation of our equipment for some time.  VOX comes
to mind.  You do not have to touch the gear, press a switch, or whatever.
Just yell at it, and the transmitter keys up, the antenna switches to the
transmitter,  and if connected, the amplifier also keys up.  You don't have
to touch nuttin'.  Internet operation of the station is simply a louder
voice, or a longer mike cord or a longer lead to the key, as has been said.

So are we worried about whether remote operation is good for ME? or are we
worried about whether remote operation is good for CONTESTING in general?

If I were a lone op in a remote multiplier I might be worried about how it
affects ME.

But for CONTESTING in general, I believe that the capability of remote
contesting  encourages more activity by more operators, and that can only be
good for the entire community.  Yes it perhaps requires some clarification
about call sings, but so what?

FWIW, I am not contemplating setting up a remote contest station.

Capitals used for visual emphasis, not yelling.

73 to all on both sides of the question,
Rusty, na5tr