[CQ-Contest] 419 band pass filters..... can a heverivier duty coilbe installed ??

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 23 12:22:08 EST 2007

My 419A's are rated at 200 watts.

During a DXpedition to VP8 (Falklands), the 10M section acted up (VSWR went
to 5) when a tuner was placed between it and a vertical antenna with high
VSWR.  At the time I thought the unit might be bad so swapped it with
another 419A from the second radio running a different band.  After a short
period of time it too went to high VSWR.  Later, back at home, I contacted
ICE and they sent replacement caps for the 10M section for both units.

I decided to beef up the 10M section in one of the units by doubling the cap
voltage ratings through use of multiple caps.  This did not work.  I could
not get the bandpass frequency to adjust properly for 10M.  Probably just
too much stray capacitance in the circuit.  So, it is back to stock
configuration.

These units have now been used on two more DXpeditions (9H3DX and VU7RG)
without a problem.

73, Keith NM5G