[CQ-Contest] A Call to Action

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Sat Mar 24 15:13:36 EST 2007

Mr. Wardster, N0AX, suggested:

> If the contesting.com designers are listening - how about a big, red button
> on the contesting.com home page - right at the top - that says something
> like "NEW TO CONTESTING?  CLICK HERE!" and goes to a page of articles just
> for the new contester.  We can all contribute to this.  contesting.com gets
> more traffic, we get more contesters, everybody should be smiling.

Brilliant idea, OM.

Umh, maybe add a 2nd button in another color next to it that reads:

"What is Contesting you ask?" (for those who are not "New" or "Old" to Contesting :-)

Here's another thought to try during a Domestic SSB Contest:  Talk with school administrators to coordinate a "live" demonstration for a group of interestED students (well supervised on a Saturday, of course), and either bring portable equipment or pull up with your SSB mobile setup.  The Doobie Brothers song "Takin' It To The Streets" comes to mind (but if ya got an old vehicle from any past wild days, make sure there ain't no old rolling papers laying on the floor :-)

Got a real poor QTH in a large city?  Maybe pick out a school in a good location for a potential dual-purpose (i.e., also "remote") station and even band together with some other CC&R challenged ops to build a school club station that you can operate remotely during some of the contests. (*)

Think outside the bun always.

FWIW & 73...

Rick, K6VVA

(*) Better not tell Paul, VO1HE, if you do this however :-)