[CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Tue Mar 27 20:58:09 EST 2007

Rich and all,

This is obviously a wave of the future just like SO2R but different.  The
hobby is not in a position to start excluding anyone from contests.  The
technology today does not allow one to be very competitive while operating
remotely.  If I can build a station on some remote island and operate from
home using the internet, satellite or whatever might be down the road why
not?  The transmitting and receiving is all happening on that island.

The big issue to me,  which there is no way to police, is the use of remote
receivers, which there are plenty.  It sure would have been nice to find a
clear spot on a EU receiver this last weekend instead of hoping the one I
picked might be clear or using a receiver on the east coast to listen to my
run frequency and picking off 2nd/3rd layer stations that were just over my
noise.

The internet and remote stations might just be the ticket to get more folks
interested in ham radio.  Especially the younger generation living on city
and restricted developments.

I would agree that the contest sponsors should be addressing this.

Mike W0MU