[CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Wed Mar 28 22:23:25 EST 2007

> We had best look forward to a new set of categories to
> accommodate SO, MS, M2, MM remote operating. Think of how
> inventive we could get if we made it a wide-open category, i.e., no
> geographic boundaries on the remote locations! What a hoot that might be.
> Imagine the rates you could have running a remote in EA9 from an
> apartment in Sheboygan?
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I always look at what is and think about
> what is possible. The status quo is for old fogies with no vision.
>
> Tom Taormina, K5RC

Ham Radio Contesting is a technical sport involving technology and operators. We graduated from callsign meaning operator and HIS station to likes of NT1E operated by K3BU from W8LRL. We should strive to use the technology in the clevearest way possible to get that edge over competition.

but...
as discussion has brewed, there is a problem where do we draw the line while trying to preserve some spirit of yesteryears and look forward to new ways of enhancing contesting by adopting new technologies.
We should see some parallel, say, in boating arena. There are good old sailboats with set of rules, but there are also some noisy crazy motorboats, with their categories.

Ham Radio contests can accomodate variety of classes, and as Tom outlines, it is the time to distinguish between the sails and motors - by adding REMOTE category and perhaps also DISTRIBUTED category.

Remote - would be according to present rules, stations within 500 m and remoted from the same area, entity. That is practically classic station with controls remoted and complications added, sorta aided by long wires. Internet allows remote operation, restrictions limit antenna farms, so idea of setting up the station in the bundogs is the solution for those who still want to operate competitive station and live where necessary.

Distributed - would be those pioneers having remote RX sites, as far as Moon, perhaps including those with remote station in another juicy entity. We can have subcategories with 1, 2, or N - distributed RX sites.

The big question is, do we welcome the Internet Long Hands to remote the stations or do we stick with sails. It boils down to what sponsors prescribe and define within licensing regulations.

I think separate categories can accomodate the dissenters and we would see if it is a boost or handicap. Knowing Murphy, he would love more complicated setups.

We are building N2EE Tesla RC super station and planning remote operation by members, but I think I will operate contests from the site, with real time control and redundancies, enjoying the atmosphere. If one thinks that he can beat me while sitting on the beach with notebook, I will have a special trophy for the champ.

73 Yuri, K3BU